Yes, today I would like to publicly admit that I am a tree-hugger. Really though, my parents were hippies from so-cal and I was born in Portland, OR. I was born this way.
Growing up in such a gorgeous area, that had been devastatingly clear-cut, I learned early on the impact human consumption can have. I know that a one woman crusade isn't going to save the planet, I promise to do what I can to save as much as I am able. This is why I support business like Wattie Ink, which is 100% Made in the USA. Today I'd like to introduce you to a company new to my circle. Beautycounter.
Buckle up, this is a bit longer than the first 2.
For a long period of time, I was a vegetarian because the amount of hormones and antibiotics that went into raising meat was astounding and proven to be having devastating impacts on our health. That was a LONG ASS time ago, folks. It not only shocks me that information such as this has been swept under the rug and ignored, it infuriates me. I want to ask companies WHY they would do this to THEIR CHILDREN and I want to clean out everyone's houses of harmful foods, cleaners and beauty products with potential harmful chemicals. Because they are making us sick. The thing is, over the past few decades, information has become more available, but not much has changed.
I wish these alarming statistics weren't true:
- In the US, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 2 men will develop cancer in their lifetime.
- Today, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, up from 1 in 20 forty years ago.
- The US has not passed a federal law regulating the cosmetic industry since 1938
- The European Union has banned nearly 1400 ingredients from cosmetics and self-care products; the US has banned or restricted only 11 ingredients from cosmetics and self-care products.
- Autism, ADHD, asthma and allergies (called the 4As) are all on the rise in the US
- The Food and Drug Association does not require that cosmetics/personal care ingredients or products be approved before they go on the market, and the FDA has no power to recall a product from the market.
- Women use an average of 12 personal products containing 168 ingredients daily: Teenage girls use an average of 17 personal care products daily.
- More than 200 synthetic chemicals, many know to be toxic, can be found in nearly all Americans, including newborns who are exposed to chemicals in utero.
This is not the time or place to be Debbie Downer, so I'll move on.
Please take the time to educate yourself on the products you use, because I love you. (ha, I sounded like my mom right there)
Oh, so back to Beautycounter. Beautycounter is an amazing company devoted to progress trust and transparency. Gregg Renfrew launched Beautycounter in 2013 after she learned that companies are openly allowed to use ingredients that have been linked to cancer, reproductive issues, hormone disruption and allergies. Our children's generation is the first that is sicker and may die younger than their parents, and she couldn't sit back and do nothing. Our mission (yes, I am a part of it) is to get safe products into the hands of everyone.
A great way to learn if your products are safe or not is by heading to EWG's Skin Deep Database. You will find a TON of info there!
If you are interested in learning more about Beautycounter, head over to my page. http://www.beautycounter.com/sarahbarkley
AND, if you want to find out EVEN MORE about the mission of Beautycounter (or some last minute gifts/stocking stuffers), what they are doing to help make sure ALL your products are safe (not just theirs), and about some of their incredible products, I am doing on online "social". It will be like we're chatting about the world's problems over a glass of wine, but you don't have to leave your house :)